Frequently Asked Questions - pet owner

What should I do if my details have been entered wrongly?
It is not possible to change (address) details through telephone. The easiest way is through our website, under the option change details. You can also send us an e-mail with the chip-/transponder number and registration-/form number, the old details and the new, correct details. If you are unable to make changes online, you can also send us the details by regular mail.uren met daarin het chip/transponder- en registratie-/formuliernummer, de oude en de nieuwe gegevens. Als u op geen enkele manier online de wijziging kunt doen, mag u deze ook per post sturen.
My pet has passed away, how do I remove the details?
You can report the death of a pet by logging in on our website.  
Can the microchip fall apart or break and cause a reaction with the animal?
The microchips are made of biocompatible glass. Biocompatible glass does not splinter, it pulverizes to sand. A microchip inside an animal can’t really be damaged by a trauma. Should there be concern for a leak at all, bodily fluid could enter the chip. There is nothing inside the chip that could leak out. Skin irritations and allergic reactions have never been experienced.
I don’t have a registration-/form number, what now?
Without a registration-/form number we are not allowed to make changes in the database. The chip number and the registration-/form number are found on the blue form or in the e-mail you received during registration. Access to changing details in the database is only possible through the unique combination of these two numbers. This prevents fraud and protects your privacy. We can only search on chip- or registration-/form number, not on name or address. The chip number can be read out by your vet. There are more ways to retrieve the registration-/form number. You can call us with the telephone number you registered with us, so we can validate your identity. The caller-ID function must be turned on. If this is not possible, you can try and ask for the registration-/form number with the concerning registering body. They will only give the number if they recognize you as the rightful owner. If you are the owner registered with us, you can also scan your passport, ID-card or driving licence and send us a copy by e-mail. You can cover up your BSN number (citizen service number). Do not forget to mention the chip number and your contact details. If that does not work either, you can have one of our reporting bodies register the existing chip number again. This is only possible when the chip number has no special status (e.g. missing or stolen). The costs for a new registration are determined by the concerning institution.
Ik kan niet inloggen en ik krijg geen wachtwoord reset terug?
Registraties in PetBase van voor 1 november 2021 hebben nog geen account. Dan heeft u nog een oude registratie en die kunnen inloggen met een chipnummer en registratienummer. Eenvoudiger is nog een Gratis account aanmaken bij en dan met het chipnummer en registratie nummer de hond of kat of andere dieren daar aan toevoegen.
Waar kan ik mijn overdrachtscode vinden
Een overdrachtscode is nodig om een registratie van een huisdier over te zetten op een nieuwe eigenaar. Ook wel verhuiscode genoemd en zonder deze code is het niet mogelijk om het dier op een andere houder / eigenaar te zetten. De oude eigenaar kan deze opvragen in de portal en deze aan de nieuwe eigenaar geven. Meer informatie kunt u vinden op de PetBase support portal.  
How do I register my pet with PetBase?
Registration with PetBase is only possible through an authorized body, such as a veterinarian or animal shelter. You can search for a registering body in your area on our website. Search a veterinarian.  
Why has my pet not been entered into the database yet?
The registering body needs to report your details to us electronically. After that, your details will be directly accessible through our website. Sometimes the institution still needs to send us the yellow/green application form for a check. In that case you can only change your details once the check has been done. If you and the registering body cannot work things out, you can send us the blue form yourself, which you received during the microchipping of your pet. You can scan and e-mail the form or send a COPY by mail. You can find our contact details in the 'Contact' section in the main menu. Add a short note together with the form containing the following details: registration-/form number, chip number, type of animal, breed, gender, colour, date of birth, the pet’s name, your name, address, postal code, place of residence, phone number(s) and your e-mail address (if applicable).If you didn’t receive a blue form, you can check if your pet has been registered in one of the other databases, because PetBase is not the only database in the Netherlands. See the 'Other databases' page for more info. If you still haven’t found a solution after these suggestions, you can search for a reporting body on our website and have a new registration done. A new microchip is not needed. Make sure however that your veterinarian reads out the chip!
How do I prevent my personal details from appearing once details are requested?
In the menu, click on change details, in het menu, login with the chip-/transponder number and registration-/form number and give your preference. Your personal details are only shown if one searches for the 15-digit chip-/transponder number and if you have allowed to show your personal details. If you chose not to allow this, instead the details of the reporting body are shown during a search request. Please bear in mind that the reporting body may have restricted opening days and hours. So, if you chose not to allow your details to be shown and your pet is found during the evening or night, you cannot be contacted directly!  
My pet is already registered in another database. Can I also register my pet with PetBase?
This is not necessary. One registration with one of the authorized databases is sufficient. You can check if the chip number can be found in the Dutch cross-reference database ( and the European cross-reference database ( If you still would like to register at PetBase, this can be done through a reporting body. The costs of a new registration depend on the veterinarian/institution.  
I have a new veterinarian; how do I change the institution mentioned in my registration?
The standard institution that shows up while retrieving a chip number, is the one that registered the microchip. This institution has the original registration form. If desired, you can choose a different institution when you have switched vets, for example. You can only choose from the existing reporting institutions, because only they have access to the registrations and are allowed to change them. So, it may happen that your (new) veterinarian can’t be selected, in which case you can leave the standard unchanged. When moving house, it is important to let us know your new details. You can also inform your previous veterinarian about the change.  
The registration says my pet was castrated, but it’s a female?
With sterilization, the animal is made infertile by tying off the oviducts. In practice however, it’s much more common to remove the ovaries – which in fact is a castration for females. Sometimes the uterus is also completely removed (in case of uteritis, for example).
My pet was deregistered by the previous owner, can I reactivate the registration?
If the animal was deregistered, you can easily register it again in your name (as the new owner). Follow the link and login with your microchip-/transponder number and registration number. You can find the chip number in your vaccination certificate or pet passport. It is also found, together with the registration number, on the blue PetBase form or in the confirmation e-mail. The previous owner also received an e-mail with the registration number during the deregistration.  


Vlierweg 38A
3991 BD  Houten

International +31(0) 30 63 55 700

You can reach us on working days between 10.00-11.00 a.m. and 16.00-17.00 p.m.


PetBase is part of Europetnet, so that your pet can also be traced abroad.

Our customers have rated us using Kiyoh.