Frequently asked questions - animal shelter
Frequently Asked Questions - veterinarian
PetBase was established in 1998 under the name DAISYWeb as first online pet animal database. Today, we are one of the largest pet animal databases in the Netherlands.
At PetBase, microchipped dogs, cats and other pets can be registered, so they can be reunited with their owners after they have gone missing. The animal clinic, animal shelter or breeder can do the microchipping and registration for you, ensuring a correct procedure.
Since April 1st 2013, it is required by law to microchip and register dogs. PetBase is a government-approved database for registering microchipped dogs. For more information on the compulsory identification and registration for dogs (I&R) read more here.
Why would I choose PetBase?
- Accessible: you can reach PetBase 24 hours a day through this website
- Affordable: the costs for registration are lower than with comparable databases
- Free of charge: changing details is free
- Independent: we don’t have any sponsors or advertisers (nor need them)
- Fast: registering, accessing and changing your details is done quickly
- Safe: changing personal details is impossible without identity control
We work together with all authorized institutions working with missing or found animals, such as, Amivedi, animal ambulances, animal shelters, animal clinics, dierkwijt.nl (SDGN), chipnummer.nl, Europetnet.com (EPN) en PetMaxx.com.
PetBase meets all requirements from the latest privacy regulations (‘Algemene Verordening Gegevensbescherming’ (AVG)).
New pet owner
Did you adopt a pet? How great for your pet to have a new, safe home (again)!
Unfortunately, pets cannot always stay with their owner, for various reasons. If the animal has been microchipped and registered, it is desirable to keep it like that. According to Dutch law, a dog needs to be deregistered from the database for a correct communication with authorities.
PetBase offers two packages: